Robots have become indispensable in industry. The term “robot-controlled process automation” is also inspired by industrial robots and is used synonymously with robotic process automation. These are digital robots: software that can handle processes entirely on their own.
Definition of (RPA) robot-controlled automation.
Robotic controlled automation describes the fully automated processing of structured business processes by software. Robot-controlled process automation is used to automate structured standard processes without changing legacy systems.
For this purpose, digital robots (RPA), just like humans, access all the necessary applications and process processes automatically by mimicking human work steps.
In this way, around 50% of the work processes in a company can be automated easily, quickly and economically, without system changes. Wherever structured, high-volume processes occur, robot-controlled process automation can be used.
How does robotic process automation work?
The RPA software works based on rules. It is, therefore, important that a process that is to be automated using the virtual bots is structured and follows clear business rules and regulations.
For these work processes to be automated, a process flow is created in the Robotic Process Automation Designer. This is done, for example, using graphic elements and can, therefore, also be carried out by non-RPA developers after training.
The virtual bots then work based on this process flow. Once you have defined the process flow, it does not have to remain rigid. In the same design, the workflow can be adapted to changing processes. This flexibility is essential to be able to react quickly to volatile requirements.
What are the areas of application for robotic process automation?
The areas of application for RPA are as diverse as processes themselves. This solution can be used wherever structured processes take place.
There are hardly any areas of application in which there is no potential for process automation with virtual bots. Basically, high-volume, rule-based standard processes are particularly suitable for this. For example, there are various use cases in purchasing and logistics, finance, and service provision.
What is the benefit of robotic process automation for companies?
By automating high-volume, standardized workflows with RPA, process costs are reduced by up to 80%, and lead times are also reduced by around 10%.
Tasks that are time and labor-intensive in manual processing can be easily automated with Robotic Process Automation. That means, among other things, a great relief for the back office and enormous cost savings.
RPA is also particularly suitable for most high-volume standard processes in the context of implementing various digital strategies.
Advantages of robotic process automation in business use.
There are many ways to exploit the potential of Robotic Process Automation. The eight main advantages of RPA are:
1. Process automation reduces the effort that would be required for the time-consuming, manual processing of routine activities, training, and recruiting.
2. Error rates decrease due to the automated processing of tasks based on specified business rules.
3. Robot-controlled process automation is scalable: In times of increased load, processes can be assigned to more robots without any training or lead times.
4.RPA robots always follow the rule-based workflow and document every case and work step. In this way, they not only comply with all compliance guidelines but also offer easy comparability of data.
5. Task queues are emptied thanks to bots that work without tiring and sometimes give the user feedback almost in real-time. This extends the usage times and reduces the processing times.
6. A reallocation of the workforce is advisable: instead of monotonous routine activities, the back office can work on value-adding tasks. In addition, by relieving the same processes, employee satisfaction increases.
7. Shorter process processing times, reduced error rates, and optimized monitoring quickly result in an increase in service quality and customer satisfaction.
8. Simultaneously with the automation by Robotic Process Automation, there is an opportunity to rethink the old workflow, to eliminate unnecessary steps and to streamline and optimize entire processes.
The process automation is being heralded as the new computer revolution in the coming years and a solution for improving the efficiency of organizational structures.
The use of robots in work routines has been reducing costs and risks, moving from being a luxury to becoming a necessity. The software robots take over all or part of the tasks, from customer communication and data analysis to payment management.